Friday, June 13, 2008

Why I Hate My Union

First of all, while people always talk about the teachers' "Union" we are actually a "professional association" NOT a labor union. And although you'd never know it by the way some teacher's gripe about it, we are professionals and, if we expect to be treated that way, should ACT that way.

That being said:

In my first job as an amusement park ride operator and later as a "lead" ride operator I received performance reviews at least once a season. Although my job only consisted of pressing buttons on a roller coaster control panel, and later as lead, giving employees their lunch breaks at the correct time, my performance evaluation had a grading scale like this: Exemplary, Superior, Good, Fair, Satisfactory, Poor. I always received exemplary job reviews. Later one I moved to a different position at a desk in the same park and continued to receive exemplary performance reviews.

When I took my first teaching job, I was crushed when I got my first evaluation. My shock was not because I did not perform well enough, but because so little seemed to be expected of me. If a guy who doesn't even need a high school diploma can get "exemplary" for pushing a button when the light flashes, shouldn't a professional who has a college degree and a teaching certificate be expected to be evaluated as critically? My first evaluation came back with a "Satisfactory" rating checked at the top. "But you were extremely satisfactory," said my assistant principal. As I am sure is the case in many places the only options on the top of the form were "Satisfactory" and "Unsatisfactory." In my amusement part days, a satisfactory job review wouldn't have been very good at all, in my professional life its as good as it gets.

Why do we as professional expect so little of ourselves? Why do we aim for mediocrity and so often manage to hit the mark?

Because our union demands it! If we had "real" job reviews that differentiated the truly outstanding educator from the merely satisfactory educator my current situation might not exist. Perhaps they would see that my colleague, band director number 2, while she does have the appropriate certification to do my job, and she does have more years on the job than I do, just doesn't do the job as well as I do.

I student of mine sent me an e-mail recently after he heard that I was being let go. He wrote, "I hope you get a job close by and do so well that you make Anytown School District look stupid for letting you go!" I hope so too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well written! and good points all around. You are right - life is unfair. it sounds like you've really gotten the short end of the stick

Anonymous said...

Your brother just filled me in on what is going on with you when we were at breakfast yesterday & gave me the URL of your blog.

I am so sorry to hear what is going on with you. Give em hell and make them know what a fantastic teacher they're missing out on.

Best wishes on your journey.

Anonymous said...

I hate all unions. And I'm in one that pays me 35 an hour to screw off all day I love the money but hate the job.

Maestro said...

Anonymous,

I never said that I hated my job, I dislike the union. I still see the need for collective bargaining, but I dislike the way that they union can "protect" incompetence, but somehow could be indifferent to my termination.

Although there aren't many comments to this particular post, of all the posts on this blog, this is the one that gets the most traffic.